Monday, November 28, 2016

We Are The Champions

I watch alot of television. My mornings are comprised of Paw Patrol, Sesame Street, Morning Joe and Curious George. After I get my daily Law & Order fix I must admit I LOVE reality television. I watch it all. I don't discriminate. The Love and Hip Hop franchise by far is my fave. I like Real Housewives of Atlanta, Beverly Hills and New York as well.

Most of us don't watch different genres so we don't know how to discern the contrasts. Yet it plays out right in front of our eyes each and every episode. All of these women are dealing with similiar experiences. Ambition, Family Relationships, Infidelity, incarceration, financial instability. They're trying to juggle the same things us "common folk" may be dealing with.

The differences in the women are the levels of respect. I blame alot of how things are filmed on the producers. They have the discretion to portray "us" in a positive light. I know some situations can't be avoided but discretion can be used at times.

Everything that happens in Atlanta happens in Beverly Hills. Similiar situations occur on each show but our culture is belittled and shown from a negative angle.

I know I may be biased because I am a woman of color but we age better, look better and dress better so we need to ACT better. Now I have at times come out of pocket and been a little ratchet too. To err is human. To continually display negative images on television is disrespectful to our race and gender. Every scene-like we don't know how to act. We don't cut up on our jobs because we want to remain employed.

I have experienced so many disrespectful instances where I chose to take the high road. I am the Queen of Pettyville. There's a time and place for everything. The other casts may throw a glass or two but they are not messing up each others events. They attend and throw shade but they sit there through it. You never see them getting  put out of anywhere. That's why when affluent minorities patronize establishments the service is inferior. Or anyone of color looking to enjoy themselves.

Im not going to front I will continue to watch it. It just saddens me that given a platform to empower and uplift its always some drama. Except with Remy and Papoose. Their love story and blended family is genuine and inspiring. It doesnt hurt that she will shoot you if you cross her. We can still be entertaining we just need to tone it down a little bit. We ALREADY all the way up!

No comments:

Post a Comment