Friday, November 25, 2016

Dear Mama

My two loves. After God and before writing my sons are the two things I love most about life. They bring me joy and happiness each and every day of my life.

Born almost 19 years apart to the day my relationship with them is so beautiful. I love them separately but equally and they brighten even the darkest hour.

My oldest David and I grew up together. We are also 19 years apart. Born in a prosperous time in our country all we did was cash out-literally, figuratively and emotionally. I worked many years in a career that wasn't an ideal fit to afford him a life most people coveted. I volunteered at his school and tried to raise him the best way I saw fit. Through many trials and errors we made it to adulthood better and not bitter.

My youngest Jermaine and I are growing together. My saving grace who I affectionately call Pootie in homage to my late friends Chevelle and Tyneesha's daughters is my lifeline. He gives me a reason to get up and keep going. Born during the period immediately following my mother's death he is my link to her and God. You can't be mad at someone who sent you an angel to replace the one he took back.

And Ginny. I called my Mother Mommy and Mama and Ma but I also called her Ginny because my late Grandfather called her that as well. My beautiful, talented, loving and kind, sweet Ginny. These adjectives I use are not the faux praises that we bestow upon the dead. These are true descriptions of the woman that gave me life. See my mother wasn't just one of those people who everyone respected-she was also loved and adored.

The void her passing has left in my life defies a description. Each day I have to make a choice-mourn her passing or live the life she would want me to. I was extremely depressed when she died. I still am. I just choose to live each day with pride and purpose. My Mother did just that each and every day of her life.

My passion for writing was cultivated by my Mother. She believed in me even when I didn't believe in myself. To honor her memory I'm going to be the best me I can be. I'm going to set goals, reach them and keep striving. I'm going to let the world hear the song that is inside of my soul. I'm going to give my kids the life that they deserve. I'm going to help and heal others one word at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment